Sunday, June 30, 2013

La Cultura Aqui!

There are lots of things that are different. For one there is the language. I definitely don´t know as much spanish as I thought I did. I find that it´s a lot easier to hear it and understand it than to actually speak it. Hopefully this next month I´ll be able to soak it all in, or at least most of it. 

One of the hardest habits to break involves toilet paper. Here you are not allowed to flush the toilet paper, don´t ask me why, I just do what I´m told (most of the time). I´ve finally gotten used to this, so when I get back to the states I will have to re-teach myself to flush toilet paper. 

There´s an extremely large amount of perros (dogs) here and it makes me so sad because I want to keep all of them. In my village, I´ve adopted the sweetest one, I call him Amigo (I know real original but whatevs). Everytime we´re there he comes up to us and gets so excited. Then, one day he got ran over...by a bike. It was the saddest thing, but he´s just fine now, I consoled him with lots of pats! 

Where I live, it´s a pretty safe neighborhood, but every once in a while and by that I mean everyday there are fireworks and it scares me silly. At orientation for security training we got shot at, so everytime the fireworks go off I think we´re about to die (but only for a split second). There´s always some sort of celebration/parade going on, so that makes things interesting. The house I stay at is super close to the zocolo; which is a major tourist area here. There´s restaurants, little shops, and not to mention a ton of vendors who come up to you. I can´t tell you the amount of times I´ve had to say no gracias to them. 

Another thing is the absolutely beautiful mountains. When we´re on the bus I love to look and see God´s creation. Before this trip, I had never seen mountains, so it´s something I will miss dearly when I leave. It´s so cool to be able to go to the roof of buildings and see the view. 

Also, I don´t think I´ve ever used so much public transportation in my life. I´m a pro now! Too bad there aren´t buses in Ruston, so this skill will not be of much use. 

That´s all I´ve got for now, but I´m sure I have a lot more to learn!




No comments:

Post a Comment